My bloggy pals

Sunday 6 June 2010

Bird Shrine

Oh My It's Sunday already, and I'm picking up the little man tomorrow for another week of joy and exertion lol. I am hoping to do some crafting but I don't know how much or if I will be posting much this week so please forgive me if I am not around much this week. I will get round to a few peoples blogs if I hope though (love your creations). I have a lovely tea cup set ready for Tuesday though so hope you pop back for that. But for now a shrine of sorts.


I hope you like this, I have had this frame for about a month and I wanted to do something with it  but didn't quite know where to go with it. Then I saw the challenge Alter it Monthly and I thought another opportunity to use this stamp set I hope your not too board of it. Having made it and looking at the DT I think it also fits in to the colour scheme for The Play Date Cafe Which this week is lemon, pale peach and peach. And the lovely Hel's from Sunday Stamper Is looking for letters (hope my letters at the bottom count he he)


I am sure you can imagine the work that went into this little creation. First this is just a chip board frame/shadowbox so it was primed with two coats then it was painted and then it had distress crackle on it, I love the effect I then put some DI into the cracks to help it show up. I made the eggs and nest from sculpey clay which was then baked and then coloured with copics. I found this cute chick and colored it with copics too (too much of a bright yellow so he had to be toned down a little ;0).


You can see the crackle effect better here I think. The sign was stamped with DI on embossed DP then I had some UV gel and let it set under a UV light, this looks like a piece of glass now and I am very happy with the result this new found gel gives me, it's even better then glossy accents (you know how much I love this stuff right?) and dries so much quicker under the UV lamp.


I used the same gel here too! This is some DP cut out, I have added ribbon and attached it to the bottom like a hanging pendulum, but it also makes sense with the chip board letters too!


'Life Time in a box' is the name i have given this piece. If you think of the eggs the chick and then the mother bird watching over them all, I am really happy with it. I also stamped the label's and cut them out distressed and coloured them attached some string and added the letters as you can see above.


I wanted to give you a closer look at the inside. I have stamped some feathers with feather images, and also scavenges some bark and more feathers and added them to this little box of life! I really like the added feather to the stamped image of the mother bird. You can see the chick how it had had it's added colour  and the detail in the eggs, I hope you feel it has the nest feel and you have enjoyed looking at this, as I have enjoyed making this. It took almost a week with drying time (lots of coast of paint on the box/frame) and to come up with the ideas but I feel it works well and was worth it. as I said earlier I will hopefully be working on some projects through the week in between looking after James (my grandson) so I may not be around much but I am sure I will still find time to visit some of your blogs and wonderful work as you are all so inspiring. Love Dawn xx


 I have also been given this rather different award by the lovely Anesha she is so inspiring, if you haven't go pop over to see her she is a very talented lady. Now the rules mmm quite difficult. You have to tell 6lies and one truth!
  • I am a millionaire
  • I am not happily married!
  • I hate animals
  • I have way to much stash!
  • I love all the comments I receive
  • I dislike the sun
  • I have swam the channel
So which one it the TRUTH only one now the rest are big fat porkys (although I have to give you a hint I wish the top one was true lol)

I also have to award this to 7 other people and let them know (well I will have to do this later as i am of to church and pray for forgiveness for the 6 lies I just told lol) see you later and  will pass out the award to 7 of you and you will have to play liar liar to!

So my seven are:- LynnIritHildeLorraineBarbaraViola and Linda. All these women are amazing and have fantastic blogfuls of inspiration so give them a visit. Love Dawn xx


Items Used:-  Frame, Twiddlebitz shadow frame  Eggs & Nest, Sculpey clay. Paint, Laura Ashley and Distress Crackle Paint Ranger. Design Paper (DP) My minds eye & Graphic 45. Distress Inks (DI) Crackle glaze Tim Holtz (Ranger) Stamps, Stampington & Co. Letters ? Ribbon, Stash.

39 comments:

Aunty Sue said...

morning Dawn hope you are well enjoy your time with little man he will soon be big man crafting can wait. Hugs Sue xx

Zuzu's Blog said...

OO its like a little Museum Diorama. I love this idea. Well done Dawn and thank you again for joining us with this months theme
Z x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an adorable and very time consuming altered box. I was quite interested in the UV gel. I've never heard of it, but the results look impressive. Have fun chasing the little one this week.

2amscrapper said...

I love this stunning creation of yours. Good job on the creative lies.

Crafting Queen said...

Wow, your project is amazing!!! I think the truth is you love our comments! I made a mistake on mine, silly me. Have a great Sunday. Anesha

Terry said...

I can see that you put in lots of work in your project and it is lovely! Congratulations on your "Creative Writer" Blogger Award!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Oh, Dawn, this is wonderful!!!

brenda said...

Wow Dawn, what work in this creation, you are one clever girl.

And the award, this is a bit different too - the one with Barbara links to me adn as you left me a messgae know it's me, thank you so so much.

You would be amazed how many people have adn do call me Barbara so no worries there.

The newlyweds live in London, so no French markets, but we do go to a brilliant one close to them called Borough Market - wonderful foods.

Enjoy you little man next week, I know you will as much as I do with mine.

B x

Anonymous said...

What a lovely piece of art, this is so full of life and love
jay x

Michele said...

gorgeous! you must be soproud of this piece! xo michele

Karen said...

WOW so much detail Dawn...this is a beautiful project....clever you XXX

Joanna said...

Wow, this is something else, isn't it? You clearly really enjoyed making it and yes, I'm lovin' looking at it! Fantastic and fun. I've never heard of this UV stuff either. I'll be looking it up later (but you need a UV lamp?!). Enjoy your time with your scrummy GS, lucky him/lucky you! xx

Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful piece of altered art. I love all the detail , the eggs are fantastic. Beautiful. Tracy Evans x x

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Dawn - what a fabulous aeristic work of the heart! I love all of the details, totally eclectic and gorgeous! Thank you so much for the lovely award Dawen, I am honoured that it comes from you - I will post it later today - I will have to think up some lies - in the meantime I am off to try and work out which is your truth....what fun! LOL! Thanks again! {{{hugs}}}

~*~Patty said...

Super frame Dawn and what you've done with it WOWEE, that crackle finish and all the great details!
The Alter it Monthly challenge blog certainly looks like fun ... if only I did not need to sleep ;)
oxo

cheryl said...

oh wow hun this is one brilliant piece of art work totally love it hun hugs cheryl xxxxx

Teresa Kline said...

great creative bird shrine, very beautiful....have a wonderful day!

enjoy *~*

Suzanne C said...

Lovely shadow box full of beautiful images. Love how you used the colors for the PDCC challenge. Thanks for joining us at PDCC!

Ozstuff said...

Because I am a non-hands-on-person (too messy, no patience), I don't think I can even imagine how much work you put into your wonderful altered box. I am in awe of crafty people. Your work is amazing. I love it.

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Beautiful Dawn....your blog posts are so descriptive. I must visit more so am now following. Enjoy the visit from the little man. I remember when I use to call my son "little man" .....aww those were the days lol:)

Xhanthi said...

Interactive art, I love it! It reminds me of an old Demi Moore movie where she played the part of an artist and made shadow boxes that you put your hands inside. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. Anyway, great piece! I'm especially enamored with the crackling.

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh yes Dawn, I can tell how much work and love went into your charming shadow box, Love the bird theme of course.
On another note I'm, sure you were forgiven for the lies you told. LOL, I'm still laughing about that one. Thank you for including me. Your so sweet!
I hope your week goes well even though you'll be busy!
Hugs Lynn

chris said...

Hi Dawn
such a unique and clever frame, I love anything like this its right up my street.
hugs chris xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Twiddleybitz are amazing aren't they but certainly not a 5 min project LOL. I can see the amount of work but well worth it. Now you have to buy the Attic House! Lynne x

Lisa Somerville said...

Wonderful detail to your altered frame. Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

Hels Sheridan said...

Utterly gorgeous shrine Dawn, now, where didya get this cos I need me one to play with LOL Thanks for joiningin with the Sunday Stamper...oh and I reckon the truth is that you are a millionaire ;o))

JulesinParadise said...

That bird shrine is so amazing. You inspire me!

Chris said...

OMG Dawn your shrine is just absolutely amazing...brilliant...fabulous.... gorgeous.... I could go on and on.

so much detail and all of it just wonderful eye candy!! I just can't stop looking at all the elements you have included and it must have taken you AGES but it was sooooooo worth it me lovely. It is definately a work of art to be cherished.

I haven't heard of uv gel (you must tell me where to get it... cos I DO have a UV lamp )
It does look like glass and it's perfect on your piece!!

Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a fab week hun :D

hugs
Chris xx

Ginger said...

This is lovely, so much to look at on it and the detail is lovely.
Tahnk you for joining us again this month Dawn.

Viola said...

Your project is so beautiful, Dawn! Love the bird theme! Thanks for the award and thank you so much for all your kind comments on my blog. You`re such a sweetie. Have a wonderful week! :-)

Ruby said...

What a creative way to use our colours this week at the Play Date Cafe challenge, lovely! So glad you could play along :o)

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

This is gorgeous Dawn, love the shrine itself and all the things you've put in - fab!
Anne xx

Unknown said...

I love the shrine....I am such a bird nut anyway.....

Mona Pendleton said...

Super cute & very creative! Those lil' chicks are so adorable! Thanks for playing along at the PDCC :)

Anonymous said...

Love the shrine! Beautifully done!

Maggie said...

Dawn this is really lovely I love the frame especially

Maggie

seema gupta said...

just fantastic art work..

regards

Kay said...

I love this shrine! So much time and work has gone into it and it is soo worth it. Gorgeous!

Deb said...

How cool is that?! This is fantastic!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin